back to main language page of:
ENGLISH LANGUAGE COURSES
TOEIC, TOEFL and IELTS Comparison Table
Canberra Institute of Technology - Canberra
ELS Universal English College - Sydney
IELI - Adelaide
“Change the course of your life… Get real industry skills for your career.”
Receive a superior education and live in one of the most desirable and modern cities at the same time, at the Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT).
As the city’s leading provider of vocational education and training, you will be studying in a dynamic and multicultural environment and will enhance your English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills!
Why choose CIT?
Over 28,000 enrolments annually including 1,500 international students from over 86 countries
CIT’s student population is a diverse, welcoming and energetic community of people from anywhere between 16 to 70 years of age. Their reasons for studying at CIT vary from wanting to start a career, wanting to enhance or change a career, or wanting to get their existing skills recognised. Whatever the reason, CIT has something to offer everyone.
CIT offers an exciting and diverse multicultural environment
The first international student began at CIT in 1988. This student was from Fiji and he enrolled in the Advanced Diploma of Civil Engineering. Since then the international student population has grown substantially to approximately 1,500 students. CIT prides itself on offering an exciting and diverse multicultural environment with international students representing more than 86 different countries.
The English Language Centre (ELC) offers flexible and practical study options to enhance your English skills in a very multicultural environment. English courses are offered to all language levels from beginner to advanced. Class sizes are kept small so teachers can provide one-on-one assistance and a supportive learning environment. When you finish your English course, you can continue your studies in Australia, at CIT or at university.
Our ELC Teachers: love teaching
English! Many have taught overseas, which helps them understand
international student needs are highly qualified with post-graduate or
Masters Degrees. All have taught English for several years, some more
senior teachers have been teaching for more than 15 years really care.
They want their students to be successful, happy and healthy. They look
after students like family and
understand it is difficult for students to live in another country away
from their families. They provide high levels of support and meet
individual needs use accelerative teaching methods which facilitate
rapid improvement and encourage students to develop confidence in using
English in a range of settings .
The ELC facilities include language labs equipped with specialized computer software and staff dedicated to the development of the individual’s language ability, preparing them for further study.
CIT offers the following ELICOS courses:
- Elementary English Language Skills
- Certificate 1, 2, 3 or 4 in English Language Skills (Basic to Advanced)
- Certificate 4 in Academic English
- Certificate 4 in Spoken and Written English (Further Studies)
Course in Foundation Studies
We provide a rewarding study experience for international students at a convenient location. English classes are situated at Reid Campus in the city - in walking distance to stylish cafes, restaurants and bars plus many of Canberra’s famous attractions.
CIT is currently offering Elementary English and Certificates I-IV in English Language Skills courses at a discounted cost.
Study from an elementary to an advanced level for just $260 per week (save $90 per week).
* Discount current as at February 2012. Fees subject to change.
ELS UNIVERSAL ENGLISH COLLEGE
ELS Universal English College is located on 2 floors of a modern building which is located right in the centre of Sydney city just 5 minutes from Sydney Harbour and Circular Quay. Trains, buses and ferries are only a few minutes’ walk away, as is the beautiful Royal Botanic Garden where you can sit in the sun and enjoy a relaxing lunch between classes.
10 reasons you should study with us
· One of the oldest language schools in Australia with over 22 years’ experience
· Superb central location close to everything
· 5 minutes’ walk to Sydney Harbour, Opera House and Harbour Bridge
· 2 newly refurbished floors in a modern building with our own street level entry
· Excellent nationality mix with students from all over the world
· Direct entry pathways to more than 40 universities, TAFE (Technical and Further Education) and other specialist colleges
· 2 large computer areas for extra study opportunities
· Free wireless internet
· Great teachers and helpful, friendly staff
· Large range of courses all year round for adults and juniors
· Social program “Oz Explorer” for weekend trips
· Regular social activities after class on weekdays
Teachers, methods and assessment
Our teachers are enthusiastic, friendly and supportive. They create a professional, yet fun, learning environment. Above all, they are committed to helping you reach your personal study goals.
You will learn through skills development and task-based activities and be continually assessed throughout the program on activities, homework and tests. You will also receive regular feedback from your teachers through our famous Total Support service.
We offer full time classes in the mornings, afternoons (22.5 hours’ study per week) and evenings (20 hours’ study per week) so there uis a timetable that will suit your lifestyle and your budget.
We understand that there is a great deal to learn apart from English when you arrive in Australia for the first time. In most cases, you will be a long way from home, so to help you settle in and find your way around, our Student Services staff is available with advice and guidance.
GENERAL ENGLISH COURSE
If you wish to improve your practical communication in different cultural and social situations, then study our General English course. It will improve your reading, writing, speaking, listening and knowledge of practical grammar structures and assist you to build your confidence in using English in a variety of situations.
Why study General English with us?
· Improve your skills and progress quickly with 22.5 or 20 hours per week of face-to-face teaching
· Start any Monday
· Customise your program by being able to choose from 20 elective options
· Regular progress testing and monitoring
· 7 major levels of English classes to make sure that you are learning at the right level
· Interactive and dynamic classes to make learning English interesting and fun
· You can move from General English to any of our special full time courses (Academic English, Cambridge Examination Preparation, IELTS Preparation, Business English) when you reach the right level
IELI - Intensive English Language Institute
IELI has been on the campus of Flinders University since 1995. We have worked hard to gain a strong reputation for offering challenging English programs in a caring, multicultural environment. In fact, in this year’s iGraduate survey, IELI placed first among University language schools and second among all Australian language schools as the school that students would recommend to a friend.
Some ways that IELI is different from other schools include:
- IELI is a not-for-profit organization, so student tuition fees are spent on teaching staff and materials.
90% of IELI teachers are on long-term or permanent contracts. Because the school offers them a secure position, the teachers are keen to build the school’s reputation through well-organized classes and individual feedback.
- IELI places the students separately by skill area (listening, speaking, reading and writing) so the students are challenged in their strong areas and get extra support in their weak areas.
- IELI offers 22 hours of face-to-face teaching in the assessed program. Students can also take up to 6 hours of elective classes for no additional charge. Extra classes include pronunciation, IELTS preparation, basic grammar, reading skills, spelling, movie listening and more.
IELI has several courses to meet various student goals.
Students can start from the very beginning level and progress to proficiency level (7.0 IELTS).
General English uses materials from the media as well as Cambridge Test preparation materials.
English for Academic Preparation
English for Business and IT Studies
English for Health Studies
These courses are direct entry courses to Flinders University. These academic preparation courses help students not only improve their English but also expand their vocabulary, their patterns of thinking, and the range of academic tasks they can perform with confidence. The Business and IT Studies and English for Health Studies courses provide specialised content within the academic preparation program.
English for OET Preparation
This course offers preparation for test required to register as a health professional in Australia.
The IELI front desk provides a friendly face to the school as well as help with medical appointments, course extensions and changes, and general advice on life in Adelaide. IELI also offers the following services.
Academic Counseling and Support
Weekend Activities Program
Access to Flinders University facilities and clubs
The campus of Flinders University is one of the most beautiful in Australia. Set on rolling hills with a view of the beach area, the campus provides a relaxing place to focus on studies and to enjoy the Australian environment. The city of Adelaide welcomes international students and provides a range of restaurants, shopps, music, theatre, and sporting activities to keep students active. Education Adelaide provides services to international students throughout Adelaide to encourage students to get out and interact with local people and explore the local environment.